Wednesday, March 30, 2011

Cognitivism as a Learning Theory

Where should I start? There are at least 50 different ways to learn across this great country or at at least that many BOE which believe it has the right way. Kapp's blog was short, but his response to another blog comments I thought was a solid position. I believe you should apply different theories to fit the situation.

The blog responses to Kerr were in the same neighborhood. They pointed out the multiple theories do not neatly fit into any particular mold. I agree because our learning comes from our experiences and no two are alike.

The theory each has its own perspective on learning, so one would expect people to share various spins. The very existence of these blogs only confirms how diverse learning can be.

As pointed out in the assignment, there are much one can read on line. The following is a post I came across. Retrieved on March 31, 2011 from http://hotelvictor.yuiin.com/cognitive-behavioural-therapy-a-viewpoint/

7 comments:

  1. Exactly why should educators and designers select one theory when we all know that students learn in different ways. Why should we be expected to use one theory to meet the needs of multiple learning needs? It is more important to have an understanding of each theory so that educators and designers can use the elements of each theory when needed to meet the needs of the learners according to the learning outcome.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Andrew,
    Great post, I like the BYOE reference. I also enjoyed the article that you posted and the insights the article provided on behaviro and the congnitive learning theory. I will be sure to post some additional links to my blog.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hello Andrew,

    You bring out excellent points in your post. You made a good analysis of Kapp’s and Kerr’s blogs. I concur with the perspective that learning from learners experiences have different outcomes on learners because learning experiences are different from each learner. I believe not limiting designing instructional material to one theory is good and the outcome for the instructional material will determine the approach and theories applied.

    v/r
    Sullus

    ReplyDelete
  4. Maria,we all understand there are different ways to learn. Unfortunately, standardize testing only provides one way to demonstrate content knowledge.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Kathi, I attempt to include real world connections when I can. The links I share have information I find interesting and I hope my classmates such as yourself can find nuggets which can be helpful to you.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Sullus, I try to provide my thoughts on the blogs. They may not be what others think or deemed correct but that only provides additional evidence of how learning can overlap into various learning theories.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Andrew, you made some excellent points. Since we are diverse learners, it is very important that we meet the needs of these learners by combining multiple theories. Do you think there will come a time where the combining of multiple theories may become too much?

    ReplyDelete