Wednesday, May 25, 2011

Learning in a Digital World

It is non-negotiable to not embrace the fact there is more than one best way for people to learn. Technology has a great impact on learning and will enhance the learning experience. However, it is not simply technology, but several components working in unison. But it all starts with one person. Driscoll (2008) states constructivist theory rests on the assumption that knowledge is constructed by learners as they attempt to make sense of their experiences.  For example, this blog allows me to share ideas, thought, and observations I have. Case close and my learning could end. Fortunately, technology steps in and a two-way exchange of global knowledge exploration is at my fingertips.

 My philosophy on learning is a take-off from the quote contributed to Ben Reilly of Spiderman fame. With learning comes great responsibility. Learning is power. For instance, Is the world flat? Thanks to the contributions of many people and the sharing of ideas this idea was proven inaccurate. Word of mouth proved to be a wonderful option. We do not have to follow in step, but like minds can agree and disagree. It is a wonderful thing to share information for the greater good of society.

I thought this blog comparing constructivism and behaviorism might make a few people scratch their heads
Retrieved on May 25, 2011, from http://bakeramitchell.com/2011/05/20/behaviorism-vs-constructivism/

1 comment:

  1. Thanks to learning theory... there is more than one best way for people to learn. From my experience in on-line, blended, and face-to-face learning environment, I have an appreciation for the learning process in the digital world. As a student on an on-line learning environment I have increased my skills for obtaining, organizing, and analyzing information. Many of the tasks related to theses skills are typically assessed within the traditional face-to-face learning environment. My philosophy of learning is rooted in constructivist notions of how the learning process takes place. As an educator, my goal is to promote curriculum and instruction that is centered on the individual student.

    ReplyDelete